Features or Bugs
I'll be updating this thread when we release different updates to the game.
Beta Version 0.102b Out
- 64-bit Linux support is now available, though still not fully supported. 32-bit Linux is not yet possible due to limitations of CoherentUI
- Added Report Bug button on Main Menu. Players now get directed to a form that they can fill out online to submit a bug report.
- Being underwater no longer depletes water mana
- Addressed BUG 7: Blockly not loading on some machines. This may still take some time load on older machines, but it should be set up to work on integrated cards properly
- Fixed BUG 10: Not all Water Orb blockly commands (Look at Player/Owner, etc.) seem to be working properly.
- Other minor bug fixes...
This topic is now pinned globally. It will appear at the top of its category and all topic lists until it is unpinned by staff for everyone, or by individual users for themselves.
Beta Version .103b
- Super preliminary Fire Magic
- Meditations are now implemented in XML files - players can now create meditations that will show up on the main menu. This system is still counterintuitive and does not represent the final version of meditation creation
- Blockly should now preload and hitch less when displayed
Added blockly zoom support + fullscreen button
New cleaner spell creation interface
- Made debug `/~ data slightly more useful + includes world position of player
- Fixed BUG 12: Key release not registering on Linux
- Fixed BUG 5: Player falling below terrain breaks
- Camera no longer clips through the terrain
- Fixed BUG 11: Floating rocks in Sandbox missing colliders
- Fixed BUG 7: Blockly taking a long time to display
Beta Version 0.104b Out
- Fire and water now interact properly. Water will slow down fire and fire will evaporate water.
- Fixed water not evaporating properly
- Adjusted water shader to be a little bit more clear
- Minor visual and performance fixes
- Fixed BUG 17: Changing variable name appeared in front of Blockly
- Fixed null reference when deleting a spell
Skipped a few release notes in the release leading up to the Early Access!
Here's the current version release (9/23/15):
Early Access Version 0.203c
- Fixed overly blurred textures on low settings
- Fixed missing assets on low settings
- Fixed resolution issues with pointer being offset when using non native resolution
- Fixed Blockly inconsistent or not displaying on Mac
- Minor fixes and tweaks
Several people have also reported an issue that seems to involve NVidia graphics cards and Windows 10. We're still working on this issue.
Early Access Version 0.204c (9/25/15) -- Windows Only:
- Fixed several crashing issues on Windows 10
- Minor Fixes
There are some graphical issues on terrains in meditations that will be fixed for the next update.
Early Access Version 0.400c (11/25/15) -- Windows / Mac
This latest update focused on the new spell creation interface. We completely rebuilt the way spells are saved to set up for the upcoming Spell sharing interface. We also added some more features to Blockly and moved towards blocks being more focused around variables to allow for more interesting spells.
New Spell Interface:
- Better organization of spells for searching and sorting
- Next Steps: Finish spell sharing implementation
First Pass of New Sand Implementation:
- Sand can be placed and removed from the world
- Next Steps: Have sand interact with water and occur naturally in the world
Minor bug fixes and tweaks
@a_lomo: Love the new update. The interface is slick. Great update
I am also glad you migrated to a new JSON spell file format, but I admit that it made me cry last night to discover that you AES encrypted them to disk.
Yeah sorry about that! There's metadata in the files that would be a pain if people messed with. Id like to have the option of linking a spell to an external file at some point but that was slightly out of scope for right now as we're focusing on the spell sharing part first. We've made great progress on that and should have it out soon!
Early Access 0.501c Out
Update 0.501c is now live! We’re excited to bring you the new Spell Sharing tool that we’ve built into CodeSpells so that you can have all your spells automatically backed up and have the ability to share them with others seamlessly.
We’ve also incorporated some new Air Magic features, including the ability to gain information about the world in different ways and better communicate data. As always, we’ve created some spells to show off these features and are eager to see what people come up with!
There are also several changes to the structure of spells in that all spells can now perform any elemental actions. We’ve gotten rid of the idea of an orb being tied to an element as we found this to be more much more restricting than interesting. Orbs also no longer by default deplete mana per second, so mana consumption is a bit more straightforward when building your spells.
Here’s a few of the main points for this update.
- Spell Sharing
- We’ve set it up so that you can set up an account in game for CodeSpells and all your spells will get automatically synced across computers
- You can also choose to share your spells or download ones that others have created
- Analyze Environment allows gathering of information about the systems of the world to use in spells
- Analyze World Objects gives spells the ability to collect data about all objects contained in a given region
- Deplete Mana From Orbs In Region allows removing mana from other orbs by using mana from the current spell
- Broadcast Message now allows sending of data
- Orbs can now access their global position and rotation at no cost
- Orbs can also be oriented to go towards any global position
- Combined all spells into single orb type. All powers can be performed from all orbs now
- Spells referencing Broadcast/Receive Message may need to be recompiled
- In Orb: Removed references to Owner -- everything should now reference Creator
- Many UI bugs fixed, including common issues when creating a new spell and not selecting correct tabs
- Several fixes to simulations, including water and sand
We think this update is a big step in our vision of CodeSpells. We are excited to continue adding features to the spell sharing, and to the rest of the game. Here’s a few things that we have currently listed for next steps:
Better foliage - We have a new foliage system almost ready to go that should increase the quality of the visuals of the game substantially. This will also help us tie in better as we continue to extend the fire simulation.
API Interface - We’re planning on building built in documentation to the game as we feel this is one of the most important aspects of programming. In its own way Blockly does some of this, but without deeper explanations, it’s incredibly hard to work with any type of code.
Networking - We are now starting to really ramp this up and get networking finished as soon as possible. There’s still plenty of questions and problems to solve there, but we’re looking forward to the continued challenge and making it so that you can experience CodeSpells with friends!
Max time limit per spell - spells don’t have to use mana when inactive anymore, so it’s somewhat common to have spells that linger. There is a way to destroy orbs with Air Magic, but we’d also like for players to be able to set a time limit on their spells to facilitate the process of building spells
Catch infinite loops - we know this is there and we know it can be tremendously frustrating when you make a mistake and have to restart the game! We’re definitely planning on safeguarding against this.
Some of the other elemental features we’ll be focusing on next include:
- Air Magic - Dampen velocities of objects in region
- Earth Magic - Torque Connection, Multiple Physical Connections per orb, Better Sand
- Fire Magic - Per object fire simulation, Object creation and destruction
As always, this is all subject to change as we find new solutions and problems, but we like to be as transparent as possible about where we’re at and how we’re building CodeSpells. We look forward to your feedback! Happy Holidays!
Early Access 0.502c Out
Update 0.502c brings minor fixes and a few missing features from 0.501c.
- Added Analyze World Objects Medium" and "Analyze World Objects Far to Blockly"
- Added particle to depleteManaFromOrbsInRegion
- Fixed incorrect category sorting for Deplete Mana power
- Fixed mana cost for Cast Spell - need one of each mana apart from spell cost
- Fixed incorrect mana usage for Analyze powers
- Fixed login inconsistencies on startup
Why does Cast Spell cost 1 of each element now? I don't really see why an X-element spell that summons X-element projectiles should cost B C and D-element mana. If it's merely for 'balancing purposes' then I think you have a whole other problem when it comes to casting multi-spell spells.
It has nothing to do with balancing, it just seemed to be more clear in the vocabulary we have for how much mana things cost. Once we have a more clear way of showing that, we can reevaluate it!
Early Access 0.503c Out
Update 0.503c fixes a major issue with not allowing users to sign on and some other minor bugs.
- Fixed start screen hanging when creating a password that was not at least 8 characters
- Fixed bug where selecting spell in library would not clear search field so occasionally would not be able to select spell
- Fixed broken buoyancy for objects in meditations
- Removed references to get mass for world object as this must be done through air magic now
Early Access 0.510c Out
Update 0.510c brings interaction with Sand and Water back and fixes several issues with the online spell interface.
- Sand now appropriately interacts with water
- Fixed issue where search was not working in Browse
- Browse is now substantially faster and no longer hangs game
- Fixed bug in search for local spells where only last search keyword was used
Minor art tweaks and new assets.
Early Access 0.602c
CodeSpells Early Access version 0.602c brings some exciting new features including a more complete Fire system, Video creation, and finally an Options menu!
Every object in the world now has a temperature associated with it, so objects like logs can be ignited. Heat can spread across objects and ignite different things in the world, including the player.
Players can now record the last 10 seconds of gameplay and associate any .ogv url with a spell. We’ve also added flagging and minor support for censoring bad words in non-player owned spells.
- "Add Heat" can now ignite dead logs. Every object now has temperature associated with it.
- Burning logs can ignite other logs… and the player
- Dousing burning objects in water will extinguish flames
- "Remove Heat" can also extinguish flames, but you may need to cast it several times
- Burning objects radiate heat -- so don't stand too close!
Spell Sharing Features:
- Record the last 10 seconds of gameplay and get an .ogv link for the video -- this feature can be turned off in the options menu
- Video browser for all videos associated with a player
- Spells can be flagged as inappropriate or harmful
- Various improvements and optimizations to spell sharing interface
- Support for inverting Y-Axis in game
- Sound and Music volume can be adjusted
- Removed Unity startup dialog
Hey @a_lomo! Glad to see this update! I am looking forward to playing with fire...
One thing I did notice with the new release, though.. I think you may have started delay caching assets in the game because when I fire off spells right after starting the sandbox, the spell orbs are all invisible. About 5-30 sec in, they start showing up again. Not a big deal, but it was weird to me.
That is incredibly odd. We haven't messed with the orbs... I'll look into it. Thanks for the heads up!
Could you please bring back the Unity startup dialog, or have a way to configure the keys? Playing with WASD on a ZQSD keyboard isn't very easy ^^'
Yes, sorry about that. We'll make it so that if you hold down ALT the dialog shows up until we have built in keymapping in the game!
next page →