Hello all! I have some great news.
I want to introduce the first ever CodeSpells Tournament. I'm very excited to announce this and it's been something I've been looking forward to for a while.
Now let's get into the details of the tournament:
The tournament will be a a PvP tournament, consisting of three brackets:
You are more than welcome to enter into multiple brackets. However, brackets with not enough entries will be canceled.
The map or setting of the match will be determined the day of.
- Each player will be allowed a maximum of 2 Spell-Wheels.
- Eval spells (Black Magic) is strictly prohibited. A team caught using these spells will be disqualified.
- Each spell within your 2 respective spell-wheels must be submitted prior to the match and moderators of the matches will check your spells again right before the match starts. This is to prevent sneaking in Eval spells.
- Bugs, exploits and other glitches are strictly forbidden.
- Each Spell within your Spell-Wheel(s) MUST have a descriptive name. This is to easily identify which spell you are using in your match. By identifying which spells you are using easily, it allows us to prevent people from cheating an using spells not presented in their 2 spell-wheels.
- After entering into the tournament, you MUST submit another form containing your Spell-Wheels. These links will be provided in this thread.
- Any kind of spell that can crash the server, or crash players, is prohibited. An example of this is an infinite loop. If we find any of this in your spells you will be asked to resubmit/modify your spell(s).
- Currently, we are deciding on how many lives each wizard should have in a match. I will update this thread with the judges and I select. Currently, we are thinking 2 or 3 lives per wizard.
- Choose one spell that you or your team created, and it will be added into the CodeSpells game as a default spell that comes with the game!
- CodeSpells key(s) to give to your friends
- Send us your picture and bio for us to include in the newsletter.
- CodeSpells key(s) to give to your friends!
The prizes are the same across all brackets. If you are on a team, each player gets the prizes.
The tournament will be start on July 8th. You will have until July 7th @ 11:59 PM to enter your team and submit your spells. The tournament could span span into another weekend depending on how many entries we get. Our goal is to get all the matches done in the first weekend.
We are hoping to livestream and record these events. If you guys are interested in helping moderate these matches, or livestream, please contact me and we can work something out.
I also need some people who are very skilled with Eval, if this is you PLEASE contact me!
- [1 v 1 Entry Form]
- [2 v 2 Entry Form]
- [3 v 3 Entry Form]
- [Spell Submission Form] [Required for everybody in any bracket]
I'm SUPER excited to see all of you fight it out with your creativity and cleverness with code! Feel free to invite people who aren't in the community already to join the tournament. You will have a little over two weeks to prepare which should be a good enough time for some people!
Happy spell-crafting and good luck to all of those who enter!
I also want feedback from the community about rules. For the next couple of days I will be open to changing the rules. Please comment here if you feel something should be changed, added, or removed.
Updated a rule, go ahead and check the rules again.
Hello, i'm new here so sorry in advance for the inconvenience.
I hope that I could join this tournament, but I'm such a newbie in this game and also I have some questions about that tournament :
- If one of my spells, on my spell wheel cast a spell that is not on my spell wheel, will I lose one space for a spell, or will I be able to use this empty space to put another spell on it ? (I mean you can have only limited spell on a single wheel)
- I never played with other players, so when I use the pointAtPlayer() do it always point at me ? or do it point at the player closest to the orb.
- Is spells that making me out of view from the other players prohibited ? (like make me fly so far away that they cannot see me)
- Knowing that an 'explode' can kill on a single hit, and if an auto-targeting spell can be made if pointAtPlayer() aim other players, would it not be too easy to win ? (there is no defensive spell against that, I think)
That's all of my questions, I hope I will get a reply
PS: I'm not an english speaker, so sory if I made some mistakes.
You will need to submit all your spells for review, including spells cast by other spells, so yes, you must include all spells that will be used in one of your spell wheels, even if that spell is only cast by another spell. However, you will be allowed to have up to 16 spells, so you should have more than enough space for just about anything you would want. All functions referring to "player" are talking about the player that cast the spell, so pointAtPlayer() refers specifically to you, not any other player.
If you can make it so that other players can't see you, that's great! As long as you don't use evaluateUnityScript() or crash the server, any spell is legal. Be sure to keep checking back here, however, in case we find any other functions that we decide need to be banned. As for auto-targeting Explode spells, while they seem extremely overpowered at first, you'll have to find a way to identify the target, and they could potentially find a way to block your spell.
Thank you very much for your quick reply
I found a way to target a player (not perfectly) or any other object without hurting me and without using eval so i think it will be good.
But I actually didn't find a way to make a real defensive spell... So I will just keep trying to make inescapable spells
Will you do more tournaments like that ? Because unfortunately, I couldn't participate on this one
Anyway I will soon share my spells (that i was going to use) on the spell-crafting section.
So far we don't have any more planned, but that's simply because we are focusing on this one. We do have other community events planned for sure.
In short, this most likely will not be the only one =)
Also, though it hasn't been officially announced yet, i have been working on building a sports league for CodeSpells for quite some time. So, while it won't necessarily be official events, there will certainly still be more competitions in the future!
Added a new rule. No exploits basically
Anyone record and put up videos for viewing?
Recorded them, starting editing tonight =)